[Zope] Removing old FileStorage backups from repozo

Tim Peters tim.peters at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 11:08:56 EDT 2005

[Felix Ulrich-Oltean]
> I'm using the repozo.py script to back up some large FileStorages, as
> outlined in:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Wikis/ZODB/FileStorageBackup
>
> I need to clear out old backups regularly, as there are several
> storages which are packed every night, and so there are lots of ~2G
> backups files around for every day.

Are you doing full backups every time?  It's surprising if you get 2GB
of new files every day when doing incremental backups.

> Can I just go in and delete files older than X days from the backup
> directory, or will this upset repozo, which apparently keeps info
> about its backup files in the .dat file?

As Jens said, it should be safe to delete anything older than the most
recent full backup.  Please try the patch in this collector issue:

    http://www.zope.org/Collectors/Zope/1501

and add a comment there about whether you're happy with it?  That adds
a new option to repozo to automate deleting old files.  The chances of
that patch going in would increase if someone reports they use it and
are happy with it.