[Zope] classmethod() and zope?

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Wed Mar 2 13:38:45 EST 2005

Johan Carlsson wrote at 2005-3-2 13:16 +0100:
>What differences and/or similarities are there between new style classes
>and ExtentionClasses?

"ExtensionClass" is a type implemented in C that
already a long time ago brought functionality similar
to descriptors and other new style class features.

Now that Python itself provides such functionality,
"ExtensionClass" could be obsolete -- but unfortunately,
there is a huge amount of software depending on it.
Of course, Python's new style classes are not simply
an extension to "ExtensionClass" but something
quite different (though with similar functions).

For Zope2.8, Jim has reimplemented "ExtensionClass"
on top of Python's new style classes.
This new style "ExtensionClass" is (mostly)
an extension to the old "ExtensionClass".

For Zope3, "ExtensionClass" is no longer used.

>For instance how does Acquisition work in Zope3/Zope2.8?
>Any docs I can (should) read?

Acquisition is no longer used (by default) in Zope3 (which I am sad for).
When you need it, you would use so called "ContextWrapper"s.

In Zope2.8, acquisition works as before.
The wrapper objects are now just new style ExtensionClasses.

--
Dieter