[Zope] DeadlockDebugger - Anyone tried using it?

Etienne Labuschagne elabuschagne at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 15:14:26 EST 2005

> I installed it and the python threading pieces it needs as directed. Modified the config file as directed. Moved the folder under Products as directed. Restarted my 3 Zope/ZEO clients.

You have double checked that threadframe works under Python?
eg.
>>> import threadframe
>>> threadframe.dict()
{1234: <frame object at 0x123123123}

or something similar.

> It does not show up as a Product

It won't - it's a very low level hook which is good as it can serve
even when Zope hangs

> in the CP and passing the SECRET phrase as directed results
> in a "Resource not found" error and "Resource: manage_debug_threads GET"

I know you say you have changed it, but to recap, make sure of the
following in custom.py:
1) You MUST change the SECRET variable's value to something else than
the default (this one caught me out)
2) Make sure that the ACTIVATED variable is set to True, it is False
by default. (This one also caught me out - doh)

> No other errors or complaints that I can see starting Zope. Does the ZEO server need to be restart? Just not sure.

No, this should be Zope client specific and should have nothing to do with ZEO

> We get Zope clients that will spin and spin and never come back.  Sounds like this is supposed to let one 'see' what is hanging. My impression anyway.

It doesn't help. It HELPS A LOT!  Get it running and you world will change ;)