[Zope] Database not in sync for days ?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Mar 14 10:42:43 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 03:03:12PM +0100, Renfer Serge (EDU) wrote:
> a Zope 7.4 instance

Which exact version?
Ah, never mind, I see from your log that it's 2.7.4.

> I restarted Zope removing the Data.fs.index (I noticed that often Zope
> wouldn't start because of discreapencies between Data.fs and Data.fs.index
> => I wonder if it is not ZSync that does that mess?)

Do you mean ZSyncer?  If so, I doubt that it has anything to do
with these discrepancies.  It just uses the "normal" import / export
features. I have never heard of this causing problems with Data.fs.index.

> It restarted OK, but all that has been made for 2 weeks was gone !!!
>
> Loking at the log to find out why, I saw in the event.log a lot of ERRORs of
> that kind:
>
> 2005-03-11T23:08:04 ERROR(200) ZServer uncaptured python exception, closing
> channel <ZServer.HTTPServer.zhttp_channel connected 213.3.93.136:189
> 89 at 0x77bf828 channel#: 167268 requests:> (socket.error:(11, 'Resource
> temporarily unavailable') [/usr/local/lib/python2.3/asynchat.py|handle_
> read|88]
> [/prd/data/Zope/var/zope2.7.4/lib/python/ZServer/medusa/http_server.py|recv|
> 423] [/usr/local/lib/python2.3/asyncore.py|recv|356])
>
> Does anyone know, what does that mean and could it be the problem I have in
> this configuration?

That means ZServer is having problems with some incoming client requests.
Often these are malformed requests from script kiddies randomly scanning
you for e.g. ASP vulnerabilities.  The rest of Zope never even sees
these requests. No effect on persistence at all. I wouldn't worry about it
as far as your data problems go.  But generally, it is recommended to have
an "http sanitizer" in front of Zope that filters out gunk like this.
Apache, Pound, whatever.

> Dieter Mauer told me that after each transaction zope writes into the
> Data.fs, how can it be that I have a base with 2 weeks of missing data from
> the moment I do a restart?

It sounds likely that you have a problem with your Data.fs that is
not detected by fsrecover.
I would suggest taking the discussion to the zodb-dev list, they
are the best resource for dealing with Filestorage disasters.
Meanwhile, do you have nightly backups? If so, you may be able
to recover some or all recent changes from backups (unless they
are corrupt too).

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com