[Zope] shared/virtual hosting recommendations

AM Thomas anmar at intrex.net
Sun Mar 20 20:02:29 EST 2005

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for good, solid, somewhat helpful Zope hosting for my several
very small customers (five main domains) and myself.  I found the long
list of hosting providers on the Zope.org site (at
http://www.zope.org/Resources/ZSP/), but I was hoping for personal
endorsements, or a pointer to personal endorsements.  Now is the time to
praise your hosting provider!

Maybe this would be less annoying to people with actual
coding/configuring/installing problems if you sent your response to me,
then I compile and publish the responses.  I'm completely willing to do
this.

Zettai.net looks promising; they'll serve up 5 domains for $240, 10 for
$390, which is roughly (very roughly - I'm interested in quality here) the
price range I'm looking for.  However, I've been unable to find
ratings/testimonials anywhere but on their own site.

I did search the recent e-groups archives of this list for "hosting" (no
hits).  I've also looked at a couple of hosting ranking sites, but
couldn't find anything specifically for Zope hosts (nor a way to search
for them), and I'm not sure I really trust that kind of thing anyway.

I thought about just managing my own co-located server, but frankly I
don't enjoy dealing with the interface between my own systems and the rest
of the world; I'd just like to have someone else configure the server and
set up the system initially, as long as I can muck around on it when I
want to add another feature.  So, I don't necessarily need a FreeBSD jail
setup, but I very much want to be able to set up / have set up for me:
Plone, a few other products, and my ancient custom product that some of my
sites are running (which I hope to improve upon).

One other thing I've discovered is important to me: being able to send
e-mail messages from the server that _aren't_ likely to be blocked as
spam.  That means that if the server is on spam / open relay blacklists,
it could be a problem.  If you've had issues like this one, I'd like to
hear about it, but I may or may not include it in the compiled information.

This is my best guess for where to post this question.  I'd be happy to be
directed elsewhere.

Thanks!

- AM