[Zope] DirectoryStorage?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Mar 29 01:13:24 EST 2005

On Sun, Mar 27, 2005 at 05:13:36PM -0500, Shane Graber wrote:
> What are the community's thoughts on DirectoryStorage as compared to
> FilesystemStorage?

Well, FileStorage is a LOT more widely deployed, and most
people seem to have no problems with it at all, and it's probably
the fastest ZODB storage. BUT it has at times had data-loss problems in some
real-world situations.  I hit a couple of these, and after a couple
very painful POSKeyError experiences, a year or two ago, I switched to
DirectoryStorage for everything I care about.  I have not lost any
data since then.

Drawback 1: Some things just take longer.
Packing my 2.5 GB DirectoryStorage typically takes an hour or
sometimes two!  (But uses not much memory.)  Ditto for full backups.

Drawback 2: You have fewer options as far as the filesystem.
I have run DirectoryStorage on ext3, but it probably will not scale.
I generally use reiserfs. No idea about Windows.

There's exactly one bug with DirectoryStorage that annoys me currently:
if running DirectoryStorage on a ZEO server, and the server restarts,
you must also restart the clients or else their DSToolkit instances
will permanently claim to be disconnected. (This breaks my packing
and backup cron jobs.)  Probably not a deep problem, but I haven't had time
to follow up on it much since reporting the bug.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com