[Zope] Problem with AdManager

David davidr at talamh.org.uk
Tue May 3 09:48:00 EDT 2005

Hi

Setup is: Zope 2.7.5, Python 2.3.5 (UNIX/gcc 2.95) (No ZEO, no CMF, no
Plone!)

We are trying to use the AdManager ZClass, a great product doing
exactly what we needed.

Testing this on the developer's machine, we had no problems. But having
now done a "small scale" stress testing (requesting about 20 pages per
second) on the server, some pages suddenly throw errors of the
following kind (see traceback below). The errors are not all 100% like
this one, but similar enough, I guess. The errors occur on a ratio of
about 1:4 (so 4 successful pages, then one error). [I know this is not
really scientific or would stand in a statistical analysis, but just to
give you an idea.] We could also not find any connection between the
errors and any of the 5 banners we're using for testing. (The product
rotates which banner is displayed.)

-- from the traceback --
ZODB.POSException.ReadConflictError

Sorry, a site error occurred.
Traceback (innermost last):

Module ZPublisher.Publish, line 175, in publish_module_standard
Module Zope.App.startup, line 163, in zpublisher_exception_hook
Module OFS.DTMLMethod, line 144, in __call__
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_String, line 474, in __call__
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_Var, line 214, in render
Module OFS.DTMLMethod, line 137, in __call__
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_String, line 474, in __call__
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_Var, line 214, in render
Module OFS.DTMLMethod, line 137, in __call__
<DTMLMethod instance at 91a9b90>
Physical Path:/site/advertisements/show_banner
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_String, line 474, in __call__
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_With, line 76, in render
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_In, line 703, in renderwob
Module DocumentTemplate.DT_Util, line 192, in eval
__traceback_info__: date_end
Module ZODB.Connection, line 599, in setstate
Module ZODB.Connection, line 628, in _is_invalidated
ReadConflictError: database read conflict error (oid 0x3244, class
*ilYYN6piu7CmJucspzx0gA==.AdBanner)

-- end traceback --

Any idea what is happening here?? This is beyond my understanding of
Zope/ZODB and as it only happens occasionally, it does not seem to be a
straight bug.
Any suggestions on what I could try would be very welcomed.
(If you are using a Banner Ad Manager that is a proper product, not a
ZClass, that runs on a plain Zope, let me know.)

Thanks in advance,

DR