[Zope] Re: ZEO and session variables.

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue May 3 18:34:04 EDT 2005

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 05:14:56PM -0400, Tres Seaver wrote:

> Dennis Allison wrote:
> > I am just setting up a multi-headed distributed system with several Zope
> > heads all communications with a ZEO backend.  The zopes can be on the same
> > machine or on different machines connected through a high speed backbone.
> > In our system, all zopes are frontended with pound.
> >
> > 		zope1
> >       zope2----- ZEO-----zope3
> >                 zope4
> >
> > We make heavy use of session variables.  Normally, with a single Zope
> > session variables are stored in a temporary folder, but, as such, they are
> > are not shared between the zope heads.   In the multiheaded system, the
> > session variables need to be shared and therefore must be managed by
> > ZEO.   What is the recommended best practice for this?
>
> Richard Jones recently released a SQL-based sessioning implementation:
>
>   http://www.zope.org/Members/richard/ZSQLSessionDataManager

Or you could look through today's messages to this list, where
I recall Chris McDonough mentioned using pound to force sessions
to stick to a ZEO client. That's appealingly simple; the obvious
drawback is that the session would be lost if the ZEO client restarts.
Presumably details can be found in the pound docs.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com