[Zope] utf-8 vs. unicode question(s)

Jürgen Herrmann Juergen.Herrmann at XLhost.de
Fri May 6 13:40:56 EDT 2005

hi out there!

there's been some discussion about utf-8 vs. unicode strings on the
list lately. i'd like to ask if my gained understandings are correct
und thus possibly make it clear to others also.

i have set my python default encoding to utf-8, i always send http
  tal:define="dummy python:request.RESPONSE.\
  setHeader('Content-Type','text/html;; charset=utf-8')"
)

so if i'd like to use unicode strings in my zope applications, it's
still necessary to convert request variables to unicode by using
unicode(REQUEST.foo, 'utf-8'), right?

as far as i understodd, the conversion back to utf-8 is handled
automagically by zope (if the abovementioned header is set), also
correct?

thanks in advance for your answers!

regards, juergen herrmann

>> XLhost.de - eXperts in Linux hosting <<

Juergen Herrmann
Weiherweg 10, 93051 Regensburg, Germany
Fon:  +49 (0)700 XLHOSTDE [0700 95467833]
Fax:  +49 (0)721 151 463027

ICQ:  27139974  -  IRC: #XLhost at quakenet
WEB:  http://www.XLhost.de