[Zope] A memory leak in Zope, PageTemplateFile and macros?

Marco Bizzarri m.bizzarri at icube.it
Fri May 6 16:35:19 EDT 2005

Dieter Maurer wrote:

>Marco Bizzarri wrote at 2005-5-5 18:07 +0200:
>

>>While debugging an application of us I suspected we had a memory leak,
>>so I started with the usual divide et impera approach, trying to figure
>>where exactly was the problem.
>>

>I tried to reproduce your problem and I used 1.000 requests per round.
>
>Memory does not grow at all when your templates are
>put into the ZODB (as "ZopePageTemplates").
>
>After tens of thousands requests, I could observe a small
>increase in the memory footprint when I used your
>full example. If there is a problem, then it is probably
>with "PageTemplateFile". However, the memory increase was
>small enough that it could have completely normal causes...

I did two different tests: if you try to access to the
standard_template_html, you won't see the memory footprint rise.

However, if you access start_html, which uses the standard_template_html
as a macro, you can see an increase.

In both cases I'm speaking about PageTemplateFile (which we are using
inside our project).

If you use ab with let's say 10.000 requests, you can see a constant
increase in memory. You're mentioning that these could be normal causes,
but what are these causes? I mean, I started this investigation in order
to discover any leak in our project, but it is difficult to do if I'm
unable to remove all other possible causes.

>Thus, I cannot reproduce your problem.
>I tried with Zope 2.7.2 (+ patches)

I've tried this both on 2.7.3 and 2.7.6, and in both cases I'm
experiencing the problem. Do you have any suggestion on what I could
possibly investigate?

Thanks for your answer.

Regards
Marco