[Zope] Serve large files efficiently from a pipe

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Nov 8 15:36:59 EST 2005

On Tue, 8 Nov 2005, Dieter Maurer wrote:

> Roman Suzi wrote at 2005-11-8 13:05 +0200:
>> What about serving large files given file(-like) handler? It could be
>> very beneficial sometimes, especially with dynamically generated
>> content...
>
> You must observe the restrictions required by HTTP!
>

> HTTP 1.1 requires that if a response contains a "Content-Length"
> header, then it *MUST* correctly specify the size of the response
> entity. If it does not contain a "Content-Length", then
> its end *MUST* be indicated by closing the connection.
>
> Zope is a bit buggy in this respect. It always adds a
> "Content-Length" header, if the application did not do so.
> Of course, this automatically added header has (almost surely)
> the wrong value for dynamically created content.
>
> Currently, Zope does not support the "no Content-Length; response end
> by connection close" possibility.

Thank you all for explanations! While I do not necessary agree that Zope
is buggy in this respect, it could still be good for the purpose of
serving large files to have some by side technology, which doesnt require
ZODB access. Otherwise there is a need for Apache or whatever.

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
rnd at onego.ru =\= My AI powered by GNU/Linux RedHat 7.3