[Zope] experience w/ filestorage mount points? maximum?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Wed Nov 16 02:37:25 EST 2005

Christoph Berendes wrote:
> Why so many, in separate files, you ask...
>
> 1. why not? (what's the cost/risk of multiple Data.fs files and mount
> points), hmmm?

Because it's not a common use case, so you end up pushing limits and
bumping into bugs that no-one else cares about ;-)

> 2. makes it easy to move a single client site between instances and
> servers (we don't yet know how load is going to mount up, and whether
> we'll need to set up a new server at, say, 30 sites, or 100, or ...)

zexp

> 3. site import/export doesn't work as well, and it seems that
> import/export of "large" Zope objects is deprecated...

huh? rubbish. What specific problems have you had?

> 4. I'm told that, occasionally, Data.fs become corrupted.

I've yet to see that in 5 years of extensive ZODB use, other than by
hardware failure, in which case you're screwed however you have things
set up ;-)

> We have some
> protection if that happens, since it should (I'd think) affect only one
> client, not many.

Nah, the stuff you're worried about will trash multiple mounted storages
just as well as one big one ;-)

> I'm very interested in answers to #1 (things that will make me regret
> our current strategy)

The biggest risk is that you'll be the only person who cares if things
go wrong because of that setup...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk