[Zope] Re: DateTime mess

Florent Guillaume fg at nuxeo.com
Mon Nov 21 19:37:49 EST 2005

Jürgen Herrmann wrote:
> recently i came up here with the intention to fix DateTime#strftime().
> while trying this, i had to dig deeper and deeper into the implementation
> of DateTime and especially the timezone and daylight saving stuff.
> to be honest, it's completely hacked together :(
> DateTimeZone.py has one BIG dictionary in it, not a single line of
> comments. values of this dict are nested lists, among other hackish
> things (list like usage of a string, with \000 as separator).
> the methods that use this dict also have no comments/docstrings at all.
> obviously the guy(s) that originally wrote this, is/are hiding (i know
> why :) so, there's nobody to ask either...
>
> sorry guys, i won't be able to completely fix this for now. i found
> a way to monkey patch zope to make it work for my case (2 timezones
> only). my plan is to completely reimplement DateTime, based on
> python's datetime in my own freetime (maybe around xmas this year)
> and give it back to the community.
>
> once again sry, if i raised expectations on the fix of strftime.

Yes replacing DateTime is a laudable but difficult goal.

One thing that could be done meanwhile is just refactor the unit test to
be a base class that could then be used to test DateTime or to test
another potential implementation. That would go a long way to help
actually write a new implementation.

Florent

+33 1 40 33 71 59   http://nuxeo.com   fg at nuxeo.com