[Zope] Help with Apache and Plone & Zope Intranet configurations

Daniel Berhane dberhane at bmj.com
Mon Nov 28 10:31:20 EST 2005

We are in the process of setting up access control for our new Intranet
which is Plone and Zope application running on port 8080. The access
control should allow all our company users within the Firewall read
access to the Intranet server without login. Outside the Firewall, all
users have to authenticate to have read access.

We are using Apache modules mod_auth_ldap for access control and
mod_rewrite to map the URL and into a shorter friendly domain name with
the standard http port 80. The mod_auth_ldap configuration and
mod_rewrite configuration work well separately but create problems when
we try to put them together. The main problem, we have is the
authentication directives work only under the context of "directory" and
because the Plone & Zope is a separate application server running under
a different port, the mod_rewrite module can not be run under the
context of "directory". Please have a look at the current Apache
configuration below.  The mod_rewrite part works OK but no
authentication happens. There may be another solution to the problem and
I would be grateful to hear your comments and suggestions. I know the
information I've given you may not be detailed enough, but I will be
happy to discuss it with you if you need more details ...

<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName intranet.mycompany.com
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^/(.*)