[Zope] Error Type: ExpatError

Fred Drake fdrake at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 10:41:26 EDT 2005

On 10/12/05, Alan Milligan <alan at balclutha.org> wrote:
> And you are allowed to be.   It is a bit strange in an XML-RPC dialog to
> drop out to http occasionally ...

Actually, I'd expect large files over XML-RPC to be handled by sending
a URL, and have the client GET the file separately.  But then, I have
weird ideas sometimes.

> This has absolutely nothing on them actually implementing a lot of their
> XML-RPC using HTTP GET, when the protocol clearly states it must be an
> HTTP POST ...
>
> (I imagine this is a performance enhancement in that you needn't
> xml-parse the payload ...)

Unless you can make the server a simple front-end to a pile-o-files on
disk, I don't see any benefit.  There's no issue for the client, only
the server, since they want to limit the number of machines they stick
behind the load-balancer.

Ok, I think we've agreed this isn't an Expat issue, but a bug in
RedHat code that's unrelated to using XML in Zope.  The Expat-based
minidom-builder in recent versions of Python is pretty well tested in
practice.

  -Fred

"Society attacks early, when the individual is helpless." --B.F. Skinner