[Zope] Zope Debugger lets WingDbg fail to connect toclient

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Oct 13 06:17:33 EDT 2005

Hi John,

Wingware Support wrote:

> Right now, Wing only supports file system based code.

Really? Why?

> For code in the
> database, I'd think you would want to set co_filename to some sort of
> url.

You could always look at the product I mailed you about, it's not
exactly big ;-)

> Somehow the debugger needs to find the source text that produced a
> code object, and using co_filename is the standard way of doing this.

Yep, that's what zdb does..

> By unpluggable do you mean it assumes code is on the file system?

Yeah, and it certainly was a fair assumption, but what with now having
code coming form .zip's in plain python and zodb in Zope, it reallt
could do with a good kicking...

> Yes, you don't want the debugger on a production system.  Simply setting
> the co_filename attribute won't slow the system down, though.

Yup, but zdb pre-stuff the linecache so the normal pdb mechanisms can
find the code, and that _is_ expensive ;-) Not to mention oh so many
monkey patches calls which both zbd and WingDbg suffer from ;-)

cheers,

Chris - who would be interested to know if you actually downloaded zdb
and had a look at its source...

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk