[Zope] selected in select lists

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Fri Oct 14 17:45:29 EDT 2005

Am Freitag, den 14.10.2005, 20:03 +0100 schrieb Garry Saddington:
> Chris Withers wrote:
>
> > Garry Saddington wrote:
> >
> >> DTML:
> >> <select name="groupabbrev">
> >> <dtml-in getpastoralgroups>
> >> <option value="<dtml-var thisgroupabbrev>" <dtml-if
> >> expr="groupabbrev==_.str(thisgroupabbrev)"> selected</dtml-if>
> >>  ><dtml-var thisgroupabbrev></option>
> >> </dtml-in>
> >> </select>
> >

> > And just for comparison, here's the ZPT:
> >
> > <select name="groupabbrev"
> >         tal:define="abbrev context/groupabbrev">
> >   <tal:i repeat="group context/getpastoralgroups"
> >   <option tal:define="thisAbbrev group/thisgroupabbrev"
> >           tal:attributes="value thisAbbrev;
> >                           selected python:abbrev==thisAbbrev"
> >           tal:content="thisAbbrev"/>
> > </select>
> >
> > Stop using DTML ;-)
> >
> > Chris
> >
> This code does not work;-). If I always work in the ZMI and do not
> collaborate with designers on database web applications where the data
> is more important than the presentation, can you give me a good reason
> for not using DTML. I find DTML more intuitive than ZPT and once you get
> the hang of
> the namespace magic thing it is not that bad. The ZPT code above seems
> to me more complex and it has defined two new variables, whereas the
> DTML only has two variables
> and a string conversion.
> Regards
> Garry
> ps. I would use ZPT if I could see a valid reason to do so.

The example above is unfortunatly a bit bad from app design view.
You should either do the comparison in your ZSQL Method
or wrap the call to the ZSQL method in a simple python script.

Then all your ZPT reduces to:

<select name="groupabbrev">
 <option
    tal:repeat="group here/getpastoralgroups"
    tal:attributes="value group/groupabbrev; selected group/selected"
    tal:content="thisgroupabbrev"> Example </option>
</select>

Which is imho much better to read then the code above.
All you need to do is to deliver True/False, None/Something
for the "selected" field.

Not doing the comparison in your Template (no matter if DTML
or ZPT) really makes live easier.

You should try to get your Application right independend of
any HTML output. (e.g. you can call the scripts/ZPTs directly
to find out whats going on)

HTH
Tino Wildenhain