[Zope] Zope Install Best Practice - Newbie Questions

Russell Winter rwinter at r2solutions.com.au
Fri Oct 21 19:39:38 EDT 2005

Folks,

First post from a real newbie, I have currently got Zope installed under a
test server and would like to ensure that I get things right for our
production environment. Being a complete newbie to Zope I would like to be
sure I am doing things right and understood the numerous articles I have
read, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Currently, I made a user account; " zopeuser ", I installed Zope via this
account and I can access the management interface without issues and managed
to get a Plone installation working with mod_rewrite & mod_proxy via apache
(we have a cPanel dedicated server). However, I think I may have made some
fundamental administration or poor practice errors.

When I compiled Zope, my source is in the same directory as my final
instance, is this a security issue or at least poor practice, is there a
better way to do this? If, so could someone point me in the right procedural
direction to install Zope.

I shall be uninstalling the instance I have, so a fresh install will be
completed for the production instance. We are planning on running several
Plone instances for different domain web-sites, so that each site can be
managed separately by each different department.

Does anybody know of any issues that we are likely to bump in to running
Zope under a cPanel based server, to date I have manually added Plone
accounts in the httpd.conf but will also be adding a few standard cPanel
Apache based domains through the control panel as well, in time.

Thanks for your thoughts, I am learning still and hopefully learning
quickly, so hopefully my very basic questions will reduce over a short
period of time <grin>.

Regards,

Russ Winter

This e-mail message and accompanying data may contain information that is
confidential and subject to privilege. If you are not the intended
recipient, you are notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or
copying of this message or data is prohibited. If you have received this
e-mail in error please notify us immediately and delete all material
pertaining to this e-mail.