[Zope] zope is selfrestarting: can't uninstall a product!

daniele dada_dna at yahoo.it
Thu Sep 15 05:12:24 EDT 2005

Hi!
I've asked to the italian mailing list, but no reslut... so I try here.

About 2 weeks ago I found a memory leak in a product for zope
(ZPhotoSlides). Being furious about that, I went to the Products folder
and deleted the folder containing the product, and moved all the photos
to a beautiful BINS external gallery. The memory leak was corrected: the
average RAM usage dropped from about 700MB to 65MB!
But suddenly another problem raised: the zope server was restarting
itself about every 30min! I went to events.log and found that before the
"Shutting down with error code 1" lines, there where an error about a
ZPhotoSlides module it couldn't load.
So, I downloaded again the ZPhotoSlides product and placed it in the
Products directory. Then I went to each of my plone sites and manually
uninstalled the ZPhotoSlides product with the uninstall tool. Finally, I
went to Zope Management Interface and deleted the ZPhotoSlides folder in
Products, and the same on the Products folder on the filesystem.
Then I restarted zope and all seemed OK.
But, the restarting period is only bigger... about 3-6h. Then Zope
crashes again and restart itself, for the same error (can't find a
ZPhotoSlides module).

Note that I didn't deleted the photo albums that where stored in the db,
because there where ratings, comments etc... and I hope to recover them
at a future ZPhotoSlides release.

SO, WHAT SHOULD I DO????? I want Zope to FORGET about the EXISTENCE of
ZPhotoSLides product, WITHOUT loosing all my data!!!

Thanks!