[Zope] Multiple databases/instances

Eric Wohnlich oolitegroove at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 14:36:21 EDT 2005

 I'm working on the scalability aspect of Zope, and am trying to see what
the best practices are for creating multiple databases or multiple Zope
instances. I am using ZEO and have allowed for multiple databases
(Data.fsfiles) by editing
zeo.conf just to try that out, because our current database is getting very
large. The way I understand it, ZEO allows the work load to be distributed
among multiple clients when you are getting a lot of hits, but does not
address the issue of having a very large database for which it may slow
down. So for this you would either create multiple instances of Zope/ZEO
which each have their own database, or you would just create multiple
databases within a single Zope/ZEO instance. Is there what is considered a
best practice as far as choosing one of these options? Is there a database
size I should try to maintain by distributing my Plone sites among different
databases - or maybe just have a separate database for each? Or perhaps I am
way off...
 Eric