[Zope] CPSSkins perfs

Jean-Marc Orliaguet jmo at chalmers.se
Wed Sep 21 15:01:12 EDT 2005

Hi!

I usually don't read the posts on zope-list,  but I found this one:
http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2005-September/161330.html

sorry this is a bit old, but ...

M. Davis, what are your benchmark figures based on?

I just ran a quick benchmark on Plone's front page and found:

siege -v -r 10 -c 1 http://localhost:8080/plone
** siege 2.61
** Preparing 1 concurrent users for battle.
The server is now under siege...

done.

Transactions:                      10 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                   2.43 secs
Data transferred:             258630 bytes
Response time:                  0.24 secs
Transaction rate:               4.12 trans/sec
Throughput:                106432.10 bytes/sec
Concurrency:                    1.00
Successful transactions:          10
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            0.29  <----------------
Shortest transaction:           0.23 <----------------

then installed CPSSkins, replaced the calendar portlet with a calendar
templet and placed it in the cache and I got:

siege -v -r 10 -c 1 http://localhost:8080/plone
** siege 2.61
** Preparing 1 concurrent users for battle.
The server is now under siege...
done.

Transactions:                      10 hits
Availability:                 100.00 %
Elapsed time:                   2.00 secs
Data transferred:             247360 bytes
Response time:                  0.20 secs
Transaction rate:               5.00 trans/sec
Throughput:                123680.00 bytes/sec
Concurrency:                    1.00
Successful transactions:          10
Failed transactions:               0
Longest transaction:            0.23   <-------------
Shortest transaction:           0.19  <--------------

which makes Plone with CPSSkins faster than Plone without CPSSkins by
caching just one portlet. And this is still far above the figures you
can get by caching all portlets (cf. CPSPortlets), in that case a
request will not take more than 0.1 seconds to complete.

Also, putting most of the page content in the RAM cache has made it
possible on sites with a lot of access to minimize the zope-2.7 read
conflict errors which has now be solved in zope-2.8.

regards /JM