[Zope] Zope crashes on request of certain page

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Fri Apr 7 14:14:24 EDT 2006

Sven Jacobs wrote at 2006-4-7 10:34 +0200:
>2006-03-27T12:18:57 PANIC(300) z2 Startup exception
>Traceback (innermost last):
>   File /opt/zope/z2.py, line 495, in ?
>     (Object: ZLogger)
>   File <string>, line 1, in ?
>   File /opt/zope/lib/python/Zope/__init__.py, line 37, in ?
>   File /opt/zope/lib/python/ZODB/FileStorage.py, line 202, in __init__
>   File /opt/zope/lib/python/ZODB/lock_file.py, line 29, in lock_file
>StorageSystemError: Could not lock the database file.  There must be
>another process that has opened the file.

This does not look like a crash.

The message tells you that a start failed because another running (!)
process still has the ZODB storage file locked.

Almost surely, Zope is not dead (at least not completely).

I have seen similar behaviour in the past: caused by a Python threading
bug triggered by a Linux 2.4 signal handling peculiarity:

   A fatal signal kills the main Zope thread (handling all IO
   with the clients) but let the remaining threads in an
   insane state (could only be removed with "kill -9").

Current Python versions should have fixed this problem.

>Operating system is SuSE Linux 8.0, Zope version is 2.5.0, Python 2.2,

Almost surely, one of the configurations with the bug mentioned above...

--
Dieter