[Zope] TAL page whitespace removal

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Apr 11 16:01:26 EDT 2006

Robert (Jamie) Munro wrote at 2006-4-10 13:14 +0100:
>For example, I downloaded the www.plone.org home page and it was 47704
>bytes. I removed all whitespace from the beginning and end of lines, and
>then removed blank lines, and it was down to 35087 bytes - that's a more
>than 25% saving, and the output renders exactly the same in web
>browsers.

A much more efficient way is to activate "gzip" compression
for your pages. It not only handles white space efficiently
(and correct for e.g. pages with "pre" tags or similar CSS directives)
it also compresses other text. You not only gain 25 % but about 70 %
(in the size of requests).

You will not save RAM on the server side (of course), but
hopefully (and very likely) the scripts are not the major
user of RAM on your site.

--
Dieter