[Zope] same object in different containers

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Tue Apr 11 16:28:02 EDT 2006

gf wrote at 2006-4-11 04:27 -0600:
>I am interested in having the same object appear as the child of two
>different containers. These containers may distant from each other in
>the object hierarchy.
>In particular, I autogenerate a list of subtopics (child folders) for
>several areas of my website, but would like a certain folder to appear
>in more that one listing because it can be classified in multiple
>ways.

In principle, the ZODB allows you to place the same
object into arbitrary many containers.

Keep in mind however, that apart from the ZODB all other
parts of Zope treat the copies as different: the have
different URLs, different "PhysicalPath"s, may report
(the same modification) to different catalogs (in this case,
only a single catalog is informed, not all as you probably would like).

>Is there a way to accomplish this? Is there anything in Zope like a
>symbolic link?

Andreas already told you about my "Reference" products.
There is also a "Symlink" product of Shane.
And there is the "PortableHole" product that maps a complete
folder onto a different location.

No solution is completely satisfactory...

--
Dieter