[Zope] REQUEST.form variables order

Gaute Amundsen gaute at div.org
Thu Apr 20 05:14:14 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 19 April 2006 21:47, Tino Wildenhain wrote:
> Gaute Amundsen wrote:
> > I want to retrieve the form fields in the order that they where submitted
>
> I'd say blaming zope for not reading the docs is somewhat arrogant .-)

I have been reading the docs for thee last 3 years my friend.
Could you please specify _which_ docs you are refering to here?
And what do they say that has a bearing on this?

<snip>
> > To painstakingly alter them all to add this sequence ordering
> > information, just because zope refuses to do as every other scripting
> > system out there that I am aware of, is just out of the queston.
>
> Sorry, not getting the problem. Last time I saw the formholemail.pl,
> it used named form variables. You can easily access form variables
> by name in Zope.

Hm.. ok.
I have these 100 forms, all over the place. They live in user editable html.
To have to track down and alter them all is out of the question.
Yet the users expect the form fields to appear in their emails in the order
that they put them on the page.

You seem to know formmail.pl, so you know that part :)

> > My best Idea so far, is to use the apache proxying we use anyway, to run
> > all requests to this url through a small perl or php proxy, that ads the
> > ordering info to the POST.
> >
> > Does anyone have any better ideas?
>
> Yes. Give the description of your real problem. With more details please!
> Show example form as it is and where exactly your problem is.

How to retrieve the field order from the http post request.

I am afraid the problem is as abstract as that.
No clever workarounds on the "single form level" will do.

> I've yet to see a form problem zope cant handle (provided
> the information is actually sent by the browser)
>
> Regards
> Tino

Glad to hear it.

Tres Seaver told me that zope uses cgi.py
Does that mean that I could override dict in that file, or just for
FieldStorage, with something like the Ordered Dictionary described at
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/107747
and request.form would keep the order?
Or better maybe just modify FieldStorage along similar lines?

Gaute