[Zope] REQUEST.form variables order

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Apr 20 09:46:56 EDT 2006

Gaute Amundsen schrieb:
> The order of the form elements that goes into mail headers is ofcourse
> irelevant. I'ts the rest of the form, you know name, adress, street, etc.
> that are the problem.
> It's a purely visual thing, but when you have a form with perhaps 50 fields,
> that the client has carefully grouped and ordered, they can get rather pissed
> if you try to tell them they can only have it in semi-random or alpabetic in
> their mail.
> A smiley or two helps, but now I would say you are bordering on arrogant.
> What more do I have to explain to convince you that I understand what the
> problem is?

We would have saved time if you provided the very usefull information
first :-)

Now you are building some kind of table/list with
form-field-name: form-field-value  - am I right?

how is it supposed to handle checkboxes, radiobuttons
and select fields?

One possible workaround, if you dont want to touch
ZPublishers form handling would be to run a script
to not only update the forms target (formmail.pl -> zopeform)
but split every form element from
<input type="text" name="foo" value="" />

into

<input type="hidden" name="body.name:records" value="foo"/>
<input type="text" name="body.value:records" value="" />

which you easily get as list of name/value pairs in
the form variable "body".

You can even make this transformation any time a user edits
her HTML source - save the users source in a property and
transform this source via some regex or HTML parser
to what you really want here.

Moderate work and you can even add some sanity checks :-)

If you can provide some typical samples of the HTML you
are facing I believe you even can get help with the
transformation script.

Regards
Tino