[Zope] zope.conf question

David Pratt fairwinds at eastlink.ca
Tue Apr 25 18:17:06 EDT 2006

Hi Dieter. Thank you for your reply. Would that still be around somewhere?

Lately I have just been doing a make on the trunk and copying the
packages from the src folder to my platform's python site-packages. It
would be great if zope were a regular python distribution with a
zopemanager utility that you can use anywhere to create zope or zeo
instances where you want them. I don't have anything against the current
build process but I am finding it is easier for building other things to
just have my packages in site-packages.

Some flexibility for zeo.conf and zope.conf files would be a real help.
What I'd like is to be able to do is put a zeoconf.py or zopeconf.py in
your /etc so that if zope detects its presence, it would use it instead
of the corresponding zeo.conf or zope.conf. Then you could have the
choice of a traditional zope.conf or using a python config file to get
dynamic information you may need to make your zope platform or location
specific. You could even incorporate other config parameters you may
need for your app if zope is only a part of it. In a python file you can
do what you want to generate the variables and then you wouldn't have to
change the code of the distribution.

I know Django did away with its environment variables magic about six
months ago or so and they use python files exclusively for
configuration. I have nothing against xml configuration but there are
times when python is the answer. Why not both possibilies for zope,
wouldn't that be great?

Regards,
David