[Problem report] "pack" discards reachable object (was: [Zope] Pack problem with zeo) - Resolved

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Mon Aug 21 15:05:31 EDT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dieter Maurer" <dieter at handshake.de>
To: "Jonathan" <dev101 at magma.ca>
Cc: <zope at zope.org>; <zodb-dev at zope.org>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 2:53 PM
Subject: Re: [Problem report] "pack" discards reachable object (was: [Zope]
Pack problem with zeo)

>>> If your "Data.fs.old" is not too large (not larger than 1 MB)
>>> and on the path to the "ZeoServer1" are only standard Zope objects, you
>>> could send it to me for investigation ([bg]zip it, to make it smaller).
>>
>>Thanks for the very kind offer but the Data.fs file is 53Mb before packing
>>and 7.8Mb after packing. I tried tar/gzip but the 53Mb only dropped down
>>8.9Mb.
>
> Then you may try the following:
>
>  Manually add the mount point after packing.
>  Pack again and see whether the mount point will still vanish.
>  If it does, gzip and sent it to me (privately).

Using the work-around I mentioned earlier (delete the ZeoServer1 folder,
pack > 1 day, after pack undo ZeoServer1 deletion) seems to have resolved
the issue.  I tried packing the Data.fs again and the ZeoServer1 folder did
not disappear this time!

The only thing I can think of this that there must have been some entry in
the original Data.fs file that was causing the problem, and the pack removed
that problem entry, but everything 'appears' to be ok now.

Thanks again for all the help!

Jonathan