[Zope] Questions about demostorage

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Dec 15 02:16:27 EST 2006

Duncan Booth wrote:
> Can someone explain to me what is and is not safe to do with demostorage?

Well, that's a bit of a broad question ;-)

> Say I have a zope setup involving a zeo server and clients, and I create
> another zope instance with <demostorage> wrapped around both <zeoclient>

Why would you do that?!

> A bit of experimenting seems to indicate if I edit an object in the main
> system, the demostorage version picks up the changes until such time as I
> edit the same object in the demostorage instance.

Yep.

> (So in other words, the
> connection from the demostorage front-end to the zeo-client isn't frozen at
> the point when the storage is opened which might have been a plausible
> alternative).

Urm, that would involve taking a complete copy of the db at open time...

> What I'm a little worried about is the catalog. I'd guess that there is no
> guarantee that the demostorage instance gets a catalog which is consistent
> with the rest of the data (so I could easily get site errors in the
> demostorage instance), but there should be no danger that any changes I
> make can affect the live site and restarting the demo instance would get it
> back into a consistent state, at least for a while. Is that a reasonable
> interpretation?

...ish. But really, what you're doing is not what DemoStorage was
designed for and will likely end in tears or a lot of hair pulling...

> What I'm hoping to achieve is a way of testing upgrades on our live system
> in an environment as close as possible to the real live environment, but
> without actually affecting the live system in any way. Demostorage seems to
> offer that as an option.

It really doesn't ;-) Do this kinda testing the same way that everyone
does: build yourself a uat environment that mirrors your production
environment, maybe with a few less zeo clients, run it off a copy of
your production zodb and then test there...

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk