[Zope] Re: Transfer Data to New Zope Server

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Fri Feb 10 11:47:32 EST 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 07:01:15PM -0500, Tres Seaver wrote:
>  4. Finally, shut down Zope on the both boxes. Copy the 'Data.fs*' files
>     from the 'var' subdirectory of the "instance home" on the old box
>     to the equivalent 'var' directory on the new box.  Start Zope on the
>     new box, and verify that the instance looks OK>

If downtime is a problem, I'd do a trial run first, something like this:

* On the old box, leave Zope running, and do: cp var/Data.fs TEST.fs
  (the TEST.fs name doesn't matter).

* Copy TEST.fs to the new box, rename it Data.fs.

* Start zope on the new box and verify that it looks OK.
  If not, the old one is still running while you figure out the
  problems.

  Once you have the new box working, *then* shut down Zope
  on the old box and re-copy the old Data.fs to the new box
  to be sure you get all data up to the moment of shutdown.

>  5. Now, start upgrading the various bits of software incrementally on
>     the new box, beginning with Zope and Python, then the libraries, and
>     finally the Products.  Test the site after each upgrade.

Yep. I'd suggest being cautious and emphasize the "incremental"
part of that.

I just added a stub page to zopewiki.org about upgrading old versions:
http://zopewiki.org/Upgrading
... contributions welcome, of course.

I vaguely recall having some pain when migrating from 2.6 to 2.7,
I think due to security fixes and/or deprecations that broke
some third-party code. Nothing major, I just had to install
appropriate versions of the third-party stuff to fix it,
and tweak some of my own code.

For similar reasons, at my old job there are still boxes
running Zope 2.7 that we had not had the time to upgrade
to 2.8 or 2.9 because of third-party product issues.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com