[Zope] Progress bar for file upload

Andrew Milton akm at theinternet.com.au
Mon Feb 13 07:35:28 EST 2006

+-------[ Tarek Ziad? ]----------------------
| Andrew Milton wrote:
|
| >The actual submission is to a small CGI that handles updating the status inside
| >Zope via XMLRPC (you could also update a response file that the product could
| >check as well, but, that's just more files that have to be written to and
| >removed), when it's complete it passes in the location of the file(s) to the
| >Zope Product so it can process them further (by spawning a worker thread, so
| >you don't stop Zope from responding to requests).
| >

| oh k. i am trying to add this directly to the publisher, by providing
|  a set of api and keeping running request state.

Yeah ugly. I don't think distributing a Product that monkey-patches ZPublisher
would be all that warmly received d8)

| >Part of the product also just draws a status graph giving a message saying
| >what is happening and what the progress is, if there's more processing to be
| >done (parsing or whatever), the graph can continue to be updated.
| >

| nice. in my use case it's a simple progress bar below the form

You could probably do that too using some JavaScript if you wanted, the API
is all available in Zope. I'm not a 'front-end' type of guy, my main concern
is to make sure it works so that people can put whatever frontend they want on
it.

| >When I said outside the box, I was pretty serious about being outside the box
| >d8) Obviously you need to have some webserver available that can run CGIs, and
| >talk to Zope, and (in this case is local to Zope for the file handling to
| >work). It doesn't have to be in front of Zope.
| >

| yes, i've seen some similar systems to deal with large file upload
| is you product avalaible ?

The code is quite old, so I'm currently making sure it still works, and
sanitizing it for public consumption. Give me a day or two, to clean it up,
add a simple demo, and write up some docs about how to use it. My days are
currently consumed with visiting recruiters who are in the way of actual jobs
(unfortunately not Zope related ones).

--
Andrew Milton
akm at theinternet.com.au