[Zope] Granting access by reading http headers

Marc Schnapp lists at servicemarc.com
Wed Feb 15 18:35:59 EST 2006

We're running Plone for internal departmental use. I'm going to lock
down most of the content, requiring a login to view sensitive documents.
But I also want our Google Mini appliance to crawl all content. The
problem is that the appliance does not accept cookies. So Plone and Zope
don't recognize a user account as the crawler attempts to move through
links.

I am thinking of granting the Google Mini appliance "transparent" access
by reading the http headers of incoming requests and granting access if:
  - the header includes the correct client string
    AND
  - The IP address of the requesting machine is owned by the Google Mini
host.

Questions:

1) Is this approach viable? (What are the pitfalls?)

2) What python module is consulted to determine access rights when a
page request is made?

2) Is this difficult to implement if one has rudimentary Python skills?
(Or is there already sample code out there to do something like this? I
couldn't find any.)