[Zope] Dynamic dictionary keys?

Jonathan dev101 at magma.ca
Mon Feb 27 12:42:23 EST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Andrew Hedges" <andrew at clearwired.com>
To: "Jonathan" <dev101 at magma.ca>
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 12:14 PM
Subject: Re: [Zope] Dynamic dictionary keys?

> Thanks, much, Jonathan!  We're moving to Zope 3 on the next version  of
> our software, but what I'm working on is part of the last version,  which
> is all DTML.  I appreciate your response!  It works, though,  there was a
> small error in what you sent:
>
>    <dtml-call "eventsDict.update({calstart:id})">

There are various forms, all of which are correct, and it depends upon what
you are trying to achieve:

<dtml-call "eventsDict.update({calstart:id})">

The above format takes two variables, one called calstart and one called id.
The value contained within the variable calstart is used as the 'key' and
the contents of id are used as the 'value'

<dtml-call "eventsDict.update({'calstart':id})">

The above format takes one 'hard-coded' key value 'calstart' and one
variable id for the value

<dtml-call "eventsDict.update({'calstart':'id'})">

The above format takes a 'hard-coded' key value 'calstart' and a hard-coded
value 'id'.

None of the above are 'wrong', it just a matter of what you are trying to
accomplish.

Jonathan