[Zope] Dynamic dictionary keys?

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 12:44:05 EST 2006

On 2/27/06, Andrew Hedges <andrew at clearwired.com> wrote:
> Allow me to preface this by saying I am a complete newbie to Zope (I
> prefer to think of it as beginner's mind...).

Welcome! And let's start with killing off two ideas that most newbies
have (because the documentation gives it to the,):

1. Through-the-web development really isn't such a hot idea. :-)
Granted, it has
    it's uses, but most of the time it's a pain in the ass, because:

    a. By necessity, the extra security needed means you have
restrictions that are
        hard to circumvent.
    b. It's really hard to have verisoning and making diffs on things
that reside in a
        ZODB.
    c. A text field in a browser isn't the most programmer friendly
editor you can
        imagine.

   It is therefore quite likely you want to start making disk-bsed
products quite
   quick. See http://zopewiki.org/DiskBasedProduct
   Since TTW development was one of the original ideas with Zope, the
   documentation is very focused on it, but most people notice that
it's actually
   quicker and easier to go the disk-based way. YMMV and so forth.

2. Doing things in the template is not a good idea.

    As mentioned above, you want to do any kind of logic in python. That means
    either in a disk-based product, or in a Python-script. The Zope
documentation
    doesn't say this clearly enough. In fact, it often encourages you to do
    complicated things in DTML. Besides, ZPT is a new and better templating
    language, you might want to use that instead of DTML. It's largely a matter
    of taste, I definitely prefer ZPT, but as long as you keep *all*
logic from the
    template it becomes less important.
    See also: http://blogs.nuxeo.com/sections/blogs/lennart_regebro/2005_04_19_python_statement