[Zope] ac_acquire error happens after inheriting from Folder

Palermo, Tom TPalermo at constellagroup.com
Tue Feb 28 14:09:38 EST 2006

Hi Dieter,

I figured it out after googling around for a few hours. In my
manage_addContact method, I'm now getting the object after it's instantiated
like so:

    #instantiate a contact object
    self._setObject(id, newContact)

    #get the new instance
    obj = self._getOb(id)

    #change permissions based on value of private
    if private==True:
      obj.manage_permission('View',['Authenticated','Content
Manager','Manager'])
    else:
      obj.manage_permission('View',acquire=1)

It's still kinda weird though, because when Contact was just a SimpleItem
(ie. Not an ObjectManager) I did not need to do this. I was able to write
the above as "newContact.manage_permission..." and it worked. At least
that's how I remember it. Why is my Contact class considered an acquisition
wrapper after inheriting Folder, when prior to this, it was not?

Anyhow, for those of you who, like me, are somewhat new to writing Zope
products, I've found this site to be pretty useful (particularly chapter 4):
http://www.upfrontsystems.co.za/courses/zope/

One more question, when I get my object via self._getOb(id), is that any
different than doing dispatcher.getOb(id). If there is difference, what is
it and which way is better/worse?

Thanks,
Tom