[Zope] Java vs Zope

David Johnson djohnson at jsatech.com
Mon Jan 2 09:19:07 EST 2006

Andreas and others,

Thanks for your response.  I think my confusion lies in the idea that not
everyone uses Java (though they may talk about it). I do not see everyone
using Java.  In fact I see very few large or successful companies using it.
Even Sun and IBM develop their core components in C/C++.  GNU, Linux, MySQL
... all C/C++.  Ditto Oracle.  In my market, we've been able to easily
outpace and perform competitors going the J2EE route, and for a lot less
money.

In regards to web development, the list of technologies being implemented is
overwhelming.  It took extensive research to find and settle down to Zope.

In my research, I found it took 57 complex files to develop a simple and
ugly J2EE application to display a list of cars from a database (various
Ant, xml, jar, war and other files).  In Zope this can be done in 2 objects,
and it integrates nicely with apps like Dreamweaver, so it looks and feels
nice.

We often find the need to integrate with other products and when we do,
either the product's manufacturer a) is interested in market share, or b)
they avoid change.

For companies who are into market share they often use a greatest common
denominator technology such as C, Perl, or HTTP.  Java does not play nicely
here.

Companies who avoid change usually do so because they produce large-scale or
small market systems, and change is too expensive and hard.  In this case
Java, again, does not play nicely.

In Java it seems that not only do you have to figure how to interface with
others, you have to figure out how to do it in Java as well (which is not
trivial).  Zope and Python seem better at translating thoughts into code,
and doing so with the right balance of object orientation, and scalability.

Zope provides a solid framework for development and scalability, while
providing mechanisms to include and deploy very custom and specific features
in a standardized way.