[Zope] Re: Java vs Zope

Rocky Burt rocky at serverzen.com
Wed Jan 4 11:25:52 EST 2006

David H wrote:
> Python is also object oriented.  In python, x = 10 creates an object not
> a simple type - if I recall the same is true in Java.

In fact this is not quite right.  In java, int x = 10 produces a
primitive type.  Not a class instance at all.  In this case x has no
methods which can be invoked whatsoever.  This is something I always
despised about Java.  Java does have an "Integer" class but that is
generally only used when an object is absolutely required (which is not
often).  Java 1.5 did introduce autoboxing on primitive types so that
int's and Integer instances could be interchanged without knowing in
method calls, etc ... but x is still not an object with methods.

In fact I'd go as far as to say that Python seems *more* object-oriented
than Java.

- Rocky

--
Rocky Burt