[Zope] Going to 3.0

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jan 9 10:08:19 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:41:46PM -0200, Fernando Lujan wrote:
> We use a Psycopg connection, and Z SQL Objects... We don't have any
> programs written in python that use zope interfaces and so on.
>
> We have a entire site written in DTML in Zope 2.x. Now, after some
> discuss here We want to migrate it to Zope3.x. and start to develop
> using the zope 3 facilities and OO and ZPT.
>
> I already install Zope 3.1.0 and try to copy the Data.fs. But it
> produces a lot of erros. How can I handle this?

Zope 3 is not backward-compatible to Zope 2.
You can not copy a Data.fs between them.

> Will exist a way to migrate from Zope 2.x to Zope 3.x?

In general the migration path looks like:

1) Rewrite your app gradually using Zope 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 (when it comes
out) and gradually leverage more and more features of zope 3 via the
"Five" compatibility layer.  (This is likely to be much harder if you
have significant dependencies on third-party code.)

2) ???

3) export your data from zope 2 somehow, and re-import into zope 3. You
may have to write some of your own serialization code.

Step 2 is not well defined at this point in time :=)

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com