[Zope] Applying updates to zope site

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jan 9 11:55:01 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:39:01AM -0500, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> On 1/9/06, Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 10:15:41AM -0500, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> > > I am involved in maintaining a remote Zope site that is behind a
> > > firewall where I have no remote access.
> > >
> > > I have a (parallel) site that I use to test changes and upgrades that
> > > is accessible to me.  I am a looking for a straightforward way to
> > > package tested changes, send and have changes applied at the other end
> > > -- without my physical presence (there is a systems maintenance person
> > > a the other with reasonable broad systems knowledge but no in depth
> > > Zope experience). The changes in this case consist of changes to or
> > > new python scripts, dhtml methods and documents, or images spread
> > > throughout a hierarchy of folders on the site.
> >
> > Just to clarify the question:
> > Your terminology ("folders", "dtml methods" etc.) suggests (but not
> > conclusively) that all the changes you are concerned with are to data
> > that lives in the ZODB.  Is that true?
> >

> Yes that is what I was implying.

OK. You might try ZSyncer (zsyncer.sf.net).

But you will need *some* kind of remote access to install it in the
Products directory.

ZSyncer won't do "packaging" for you; the UI it provides is intended
for manually pushing changes from your development Zope to the remote
Zope. (or vice versa - it supports pull as well as push).

But maybe you could achieve more automation and finer control with a bit
of scripting.  You can also call arbitrary methods on the remote server
using a couple of new methods of the ZSyncer API (callRemote,
callManyRemote); this can be useful if you need to e.g. programatically
tweak some properties or security settings.

If you can't install ZSyncer on the remote Zope, you can transfer
objects the "old" way:  using Export / Import from the ZMI.
But even there, you need *some* kind of remote access in order to put
the .zexp file in the import/ directory of your Zope installation.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com