[Zope] Applying updates to zope site

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Mon Jan 9 13:28:52 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 12:24:57PM -0500, Brian Sullivan wrote:
> I considered Zsyncher a while ago -- the problem there though is that
> there are many things in the two sites that should not be synched --
> it seemed more of a synch everything kind of tool. Maybe I should look
> at it again. That would be a long term project though.

Sure.
ZSyncer only syncs what you tell it to sync.
One wrinkle is that if you want to sync only some contents
of a folder that does not exist yet on the remote side.
In that case you need to arrange to create the folder remotely
first.  ZSyncer doesn't handle that automatically, but the
callRemote() method may help if you want to script that kind
of feature for your application.

> Import/export via zexp doesn't really solve the problem of updating a
> smattering of files over the ZODB, unless I am missing something about
> using it. It might even introduce more issues than it solves.

Yeah, you'd still need to arrange to export / import the particular
objects (not really "files") you're interested in.

If they're scattered all over, as it sounds like,
you're not going to find a ready-made solution.
Only you know which objects you're interested in.
That's why I suggested that you may end up scripting something.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com