[Zope] Re: Zope vs Plone: performance issues!

Dario Lopez-Kästen dario at ita.chalmers.se
Wed Jan 25 06:36:22 EST 2006

Subject: Re: Zope vs Plone: performance issues!
Alexander Limi wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 00:11:04 -0800, Dario Lopez-Kästen
> <dario-tTo+xxYJ+kmv1QaEFLkzfg at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> Start by checking the ZODB cache numbers in the zope-conf file (too
>> start simple). IIRC, the default is 5000 objects. Increase that to,
>> say  50.000 or so (you mention that you have a busy site).
>

> Sorry, but this is not good advice. 5000 objects in the cache is
> normally  plenty, and you should look into caching the front-end before
> you even  consider this. 50K objects in the cache will eat *a lot* of
> memory, and  most likely cause swapping.
>
> Cache properly with Apache or Squid in front first, then investigate
> the  more complex settings.

Does this apply for personanlsied content as well? Remember, his site is
  an intranet.

We at least, have had good results by increasing the internal ZODB
caching. I fail to see how squid could help us with a site that is
mostly non-static. It would be nicer of course if we could use some
other kind of caching, so I am always open to suggestions :-)

/dario

Lyrics applied to programming & application design:
"emancipate yourself from mental slavery" - redemption song, b. marley