[Zope] Re: Zope vs Plone: performance issues!

Jens Vagelpohl jens at dataflake.org
Wed Jan 25 06:47:21 EST 2006

On 25 Jan 2006, at 11:36, Dario Lopez-Kästen wrote:
>>> Start by checking the ZODB cache numbers in the zope-conf file
>>> (too  start simple). IIRC, the default is 5000 objects. Increase
>>> that to, say  50.000 or so (you mention that you have a busy site).
>> Sorry, but this is not good advice. 5000 objects in the cache is
>> normally  plenty, and you should look into caching the front-end
>> before you even  consider this. 50K objects in the cache will eat
>> *a lot* of memory, and  most likely cause swapping.
>> Cache properly with Apache or Squid in front first, then
>> investigate the  more complex settings.
>
> Does this apply for personanlsied content as well? Remember, his
> site is
>  an intranet.
>
> We at least, have had good results by increasing the internal ZODB
> caching. I fail to see how squid could help us with a site that is
> mostly non-static. It would be nicer of course if we could use some
> other kind of caching, so I am always open to suggestions :-)

Increasing the ZODB cache is a good thing, you just need to keep RAM
usage in check. The bigger the cache, the more RAM you use. Swapping
would quickly annihilate any advantages you gain by having the cache.

You should also look at increasing the ZEO cache size if you use ZEO.
This can be done in zope.conf as well. The ZEO cache is a disk cache.

jens