[Zope] Error importing objects 2.8 > 2.7

Andreas Jung lists at andreas-jung.com
Sun Jan 29 01:45:19 EST 2006

--On 28. Januar 2006 20:34:06 +0100 Dieter Maurer <dieter at handshake.de>
wrote:
> Export/import is essentially what the ZODB does all the time.
>
> If export/import does not work between given Zope versions, it is quite
> likely that the same Zope versions will have difficulties with
> storages exchange -- and this *IS* a migration issue, Zope should
> be concerned with (and not the applications).

Possibly we are talking about different things. A most common mistake of
Zope especially Plone users is to think that export/import acts as a
migration tool (export your Plone 2.0 site on system A and reimport it into
a Plone 2.1 installation on system B). This does usually never work when
the internal data structures have changes (you know that :-)). Supporting
such migration support for Zope core was/is always a goal since we have the
app (Zope) in our hands but we can not sell export/import as a universal
migration tool. 3rd-party apps have to deal with that.

-aj