[Zope] Catalog aware

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Wed Jul 19 13:12:51 EDT 2006

Garito wrote:
>>> Sure, but I can't create a new product for every product I'll use only
>>> to do it catalog aware, isn't it?
>>>

>> Yes you can. Why not? I mean you are using them - so you can use
>> your products instead as well.
>>
> Yes but what if tomorrow you create a product? need work to times: you
> first, me later

Who says you have a use for the product I create? Or if it makes
sense to catalog it? If you want a cataloguing framework, why
dont you use CMF or something?

> In my opinion (is only an opinion) these is not the best situation in a
> future
>
> Sorry but is not so acceptable for me

The point is, it makes no sense to catalog Pagetemplates,
Python Scripts, Folders and ZSQL Methods, Mailhosts
and Database connections. These are all standard zope
objects, yet they make catalogable content only in derived
work or when they play together - which is a custom
solution anyway. There you can add whatever cataloguing
awareness you want.

>>> Can you say more about monkeypatching?
>>>

>> If you cant figure out (google, imagination)
>> you better dont do it :-)
>>
>> The code to monkey-patch is roughly the same
>> as subclassing. So you better just subclass
>> and use your products.
>>
>> Hint: you can use loops in python too .-)
>>
>> Kind regards
>> Tino
>>
> A! sure, I'll searched at google!

great :-)