[Zope] Catalog aware

Tino Wildenhain tino at wildenhain.de
Thu Jul 20 04:40:36 EDT 2006

Garito wrote:
> Tino Wildenhain escribió:
>> Garito wrote:

>>> I want to make every class catalogable only if I point a zcatalog id
>>> (with self.default_catalog) but If I point it I want to catalogue the
>>> object
>>>

>> And what of the object do you want to catalog?
>> Which kind of indexes do you want it to support?
>> What kind of questions do you expect your ZCatalog
>> (hypothetically) answered? Could you give examples?
>>
> Is not important what I want to catalog, for me is important that the
> object *was* in the catalog (some catalogs indexes some properties some
> others other properties)

Please read the catalog section again: there isnt the object in the catalog!
Again: The object is _not_ in the catalog.
Its all about usefull indexes and maybe object metadata.
So again: _what_ actually do you expect to find?

>>> Now is a search era, isn't it?
>>>

>> Yes, search for what and by whom is the question here.
>>
> I don't thing so. The question is who is in the catalog
>>
>>> Use another framework only to do the objects catalogable?
>>>
>>> I love simple things
>>>

>> So why are you trying to make standard zope objects more
>> complicated? :)
>>
> More complicated? Sure, but I don't understand the cost to make every
> object in Zope catalogable. A class and a variable I don't thing is a
> big cost
> And I thing in Zope when I thing in keep it simple

Yes, but its nonsense. You cant do anything more with the objects
in Zope if they are catalogued.

>>> And if I use them dinamically (a user with the role1 use the template
>>> Ver but a user with the role2 use the template Ver1 for the same
>>> context)? (I'm not sure if I understand you clear, sorry If I make a
>>> mistake, please
>>>

>> This would not be supported by just adding indexing to the standard
>> objects anyway. You would write a container which supports the bahavior
>> you want - and while you are at it you can easily add catalogawareness
>> to that - exactly where and in the way _you_ need it :-)
>> Individual objects cataloguing themself would get in your way.
>>
>> Regards
>> Tino Wildenhain
>>
> Yes, I'm creating a specific container that works in a curious way. In
> that container I could catalog a Page Template when I'm adding it but
> perhaps sometimes I want to track its changes an so on

Yes, but who should know what _you_ want your objects to do? You cannot
expect all people (especially the ones writing zope core) to guess
your needs - you are the one to express your wishes in the form of
code :-) If you end up having a general solution (like these frameworks
are) you can share them with others.

Regards
Tino