[Zope] Catalog aware

Martijn Pieters mj at zopatista.com
Thu Jul 20 05:12:33 EDT 2006

On 7/20/06, Garito <garito at sistes.net> wrote:
> > Please read the catalog section again: there isnt the object in the
> > catalog!
> > Again: The object is _not_ in the catalog.
> > Its all about usefull indexes and maybe object metadata.
> > So again: _what_ actually do you expect to find?
> When I talk about was in the catalog I mean the object is catalogued
> I expect to find *the object* in the catalog

No, there are indexes in the catalog that point to the object. You
will have to search for certain information that then points to
certain objects. This can be the object Type, or the path, or the id.

Note that objects do not need to be catalogue aware to be
catalogueable; just use the find tab and the catalog will index them.

Making all Zope objects catalog aware by default makes no sense
though. You have yet to come with a compelling generic use-case, let
alone with one that convinces me. Why catalog database connectors for
example? What kind of search are you performing?

Have you thought about the potential problems of making all objects
catalog-aware by default, like potential conflicts and side-effects?

I say a big -infinity from me on the whole idea.

--
Martijn Pieters