[Zope] Newbie: Missing a Variable (TAL/METAL Question)

Dieter Maurer dieter at handshake.de
Sat Jul 29 16:01:47 EDT 2006

beno - wrote at 2006-7-29 10:09 -0700:
>   <tal:block define="global number repeat/item/number">
>      modification date</td>
>   </tal:block>
>    Sorry, a site error occurred.Traceback (innermost last):
> Line 22, Column 8
> Expression: standard:'here/?number/macros/author'
>     Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions, line 107, in _eval
>TypeError: iteration over non-sequence (Also, an error occurred while attempting to render the standard error message.)

This one is a bit more difficult: you need to look at the source code
to find out what goes wrong.

The traceback again tells you that the problem is
with "here/?number/macros/author".
Moreover, it tells you that the exception is raised in line 107
of "Module Products.PageTemplates.Expressions".
The code, you see there is "path[i:i+1] = list(val)".

I see from this code (it is okay when you do not yet see it),
that "list(val)" is the problem.

You must now look a bit around and take names seriously.
The code aroung is:

        if self._dp:
            path = list(path) # Copy!
            for i, varname in self._dp:
                val = vars[varname]
                if isinstance(val, StringType):
                    path[i] = val
                else:
                    # If the value isn't a string, assume it's a sequence
                    # of path names.
                    path[i:i+1] = list(val)

This loop is responsible to replace the "?varname" occurrencies in your
path by the value of the variable "varname".

As you see, the value may either be a string or a sequence of paths.

In your case, it is an integer and "list(<some_integer>)" results
in the "TypeError" you observe.

Add "number python:`number`" after your definition of "number", i.e.

    <tal:block define="number repeat/item/number; number python:`number`">

I removed the "global" (as you no longer need it due to the introduction
of "tal:block").

The "`...`" is a Python operator equivalent to
a call to "repr(...)" which converts into a string.

--
Dieter