[Zope] RE: zope LDAP deadlock problem

Matthew X. Economou xenophon at irtnog.org
Tue Jun 6 14:44:51 EDT 2006

(This is in regards to a post of mine from last year, i.e. http://mail.zope.org/pipermail/zope/2005-March/157400.html.)

Sir,

I received your email, but I am very sorry that I do not have time to reply in detail.  In short, no, Zope will consume all available CPU cycles after some amount of idle time, due to a threading-related flaw in Zope, GRUF, Plone, LDAPUserFolder, python-ldap, or OpenLDAP (I don't know which).  Lucky for me, upgrading from FreeBSD 5.4 to 6.1 reduced the severity of this problem.  Under FreeBSD 6.1, Zope does not completely deadlock, and any web site access after Zope begins spinning will bring it out of this 100%-CPU state.

I don't have this problem on Zope/Plone servers running under Fedora Core 4/5, so I've considered switching to Linux.

Please note that I had to hack the FreeBSD ports tree in order to force it to use Python 2.3 with Zope 2.8.  Email me privately for the details.

I will try to follow up with additional detail when I have time time.

Best wishes,
Matthew