[Zope] Improved Zope Org Proposal

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Sat Jun 24 02:26:11 EDT 2006

Aloha,

As an occasional user of the zope.org site I'll present my typical use
case, as that's what matters most to me... :-D

I go there normally for one of two reasons:

1) to slog through available products to see if I can find something to
suit a development need I have

2) to slog through HowTos and documentation and tips and the like to try
and solve some issue I can't figure out or learn how to do something I'm
trying to do first time or differently etc.

On the one hand, there is a lot of completely and nearly obsolete
content that turns up in both these cases, thus my use of the word "slog"...

On the other hand, I do sometimes find just what I need somewhere in all
of what's there...and it's not usually easy.
And, sometimes, it's somewhere in all that "bit-rot" that will no longer
be supported...so I guess there will be less cruft and, hopefully, not
too much less useful information in the new site?

What I would really appreciate on a new zope.org site would be an
improved search functionality.  Something that lets me filter out all
but certain types of objects would be great.  If I'm searching for a
product, I only want to see hits on relevant product objects or directly
related objects that will clearly point me to a product (like a product
review, if there is to be such a thing)...likewise for HowTos, etc.
etc....instead of as now where I get back all kinds of objects that
happen to be hit by my search string even when most of them are
irrelevant types of objects.

And thanks to everyone working on making a new site happen!

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services