[Zope] Improved Zope Org Proposal

John Schinnerer john at eco-living.net
Mon Jun 26 18:12:34 EDT 2006

Aloha,

 >> I start to understand:
 >>
 >>   You want to have a narrow, a focused site
 >>   because you fear that a bigger one cannot be managed.
 >>
 >> In such a case, I would say: start with the small solution
 >> and maybe get bigger later.

This is a basic principle of design that works (as opposed to design
that fails to work).
Start small and work the edges outwards.
The "work edges outwards" that works is often modular in nature (perhaps
a.k.a. 'micro-sites').
That doesn't mean it can't look-and-feel like "one big site as access
point."

Biting off more than one (person, organization, whatever) can chew
usually results in choking...

So I actually see a lot of agreement in what may appear to be argument.

Also:

I agree that despite the wonders of zope, the zope.org site is not as
stunning a place to refer people to as it could be. For the most general
public face of the site, I support the idea of a clear and simple
"brochure-like" approach.
A couple major open source project/product sites that I am excited about
referring people to:

http://rubyonrails.org
http://www.mozilla.com

...and to some extent

http://www.openoffice.org

...although IMO the OO site is not quite as clear and well-designed as
the other two...better than zope.org though.
Also bearing in mind that the Ruby On Rails site is for a development
platform while Mozilla and OO are end-user app sites - somwhat different
audiences.

cheers,
John S.

- Eco-Living -